[Terrapreta] a braoder theory of torrefaction and TP

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 10 11:29:54 CST 2007

Nikolaus,

Loved your photos!

I like your idea....we 'soils peoples'  have to broaden our scope of
interest from 'biochar' to the whole range of "torrefied wood".  Let
me try to build a new 'theory."

Torrefaction does something to the wood so that it lasts much longer
in the soil than non-torrefied wood.  What happens in torrefaction?
"This process removes all naturally occurring resins, sugars and
oxygens while collapsing the cells. This accomplishes two things:
First, it gives the lumber a deep, rich brown color...Second, and
more importantly, it alters the wood to make it extremely stable,
moisture resistant and decay resistant."

This extended life effect is not just because it drives out enough
moisture to inhibit decomposing organisms, but it also provides a
suitable habitat for non-decomposing soil-dwelling organisms - not
dependant on as high moisture contents - which in turn protect their
habitat from rapid decomposition.  If these MO don't completely
inhibit decomposition, they at least have a significant effect in
slowing that process down.  It is the biological activity of these
micro-organisms inhabiting the torrefied wood, which increases the
fertility of those soils and make TP's what they are.

There are different degrees of torrefied wood, ranging from very dry
wood to charcoal.  Perhaps charcoal is merely the extreme type that
lasts the longest in soil?

It's interesting to note, that soil scientists attempting to
decompose wood complain about how hard it is to do so...whereas, like
for char, if the above theory is correct, we should be complaining
about how fast it happens...

Gerald