[Terrapreta] Catalyst: Carbon Bigfoot

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Dec 10 15:54:31 EST 2007

Hi Chuck,

Check you math?

Global average CO2 concentrations have risen to 380 ppm now, in 2007, versus 250 ppm in 1850.  The ecology of the Earth, by itself, cycles 120 billion tons of carbon (~440 giga-tons of CO2) into and out of the atmosphere every year.  Humans add 6 billion tons of carbon to the atmosphere every year, primarily from burning fossil fuels.

It is not the goal of GHG reductions to bring the ~3 trillion (3000 billion) tons of CO2 down to zero tons of CO2 immediately.  Rather, to reduce CO2 concentrations to pre-industrial levels would only require going from ~3 trillion tons of CO2 down to (250/380) * 3 = ~2 trillion tons of CO2.  Hence, only removing ~1 trillion tons of CO2, which is equivalent to (12/(12+16+16))*1E9 = 272 billion tons of carbon.

Since charcoal is 90-95% pure carbon, then 272 billion tons of carbon is approximately 300 billion tons of charcoal.  Since you claim that there are 5 billion hectares of arable land, then it seems to me that the desired reduction in atmospheric carbon could be achieved by putting 10 tons/hectare of 5 billion hectares of land, for 6 consecutive years.  Additionally, the same could be accomplished by putting 50 tons of charcoal per hectare onto only 300 million hectares of land for 20 years.

The entire land surface of the Earth is ~510 million square km (or ~51 billion hectares).  If some of the land other than the 10% arable land were used as a place to sequester charcoal carbon into soil, then we might be able to do the necessary sequestration sooner and EXPAND the amount of arable land at the same time (i.e. making Terra Preta soil from degraded soil, reclaiming it, and making deserts bloom, if you will).

If you (or anyone else on this list) find any error in my calculations here, then please let me know and we can discuss it.  Please bear in mind that I am accepting your numbers, Chuck, of 3000 billion tons of CO2 in the atmosphere now and 5 billion hectares of arable land.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC