[Terrapreta] Pottery Shards and Terra Preta

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Dec 11 03:13:20 EST 2007

Dear Lou

Thanks for your comments.
lou gold wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> The video simply showed what they found in terra preta soils, layer
> after layer of pottery. The interest was in showing that TP was
> man-made, pottery being the evidence. Because they said that pottery
> was found in EVERY place of TP, it is reasonable also to think it
> played some role in the process. The BBC documentary simply said that
> analysis showed the presence of pottery, charcoal and organic matter.
OK... Zeolites are known for their ability to enhance CEC, as is also
clay. Is it possible that the clay shards were acting as a CEC material
also? For example, firing of the clay for pottery could indeed have
activated it, so that it had the properties we attribute to char also...
high internal surface area, microporosity, and CEC capacity.

> I don't know that this means that pottery is "essential" in making TP
> in the chemical or biological sense.
We do know that "black earth" in temperate climates, with no pottery
shards are highly productive. (eg, Holland Marsh near Toronto). Is it
possible that pottery shards are not essential to TP, but the right kind
of pottery shards could be very beneficial? One could imagine that a
high fired clay, or a glazed pottery piece would be of little to no
benefit to the soil, perhaps as unhelpful as a shard of glass.
> It might mean that the pottery was a container for another ingredient
> that was essential to the process. I speculated that the "ingredient"
> might have been human waste. If there were millions of people living
> there, waste management would have been a serious challenge. An
> integrated waste management system that recycled waste into TP
> production would have been an interesting and feasible solution.

Very good points!! From a practical standpoint, would the Ancients use
slop containers, OR would they have been more likely to have composted
their human wastes, and then brought the composted wastes to the fields?
Is there anyone on the List familiar with Night Soil Practises?

> The pottery was also found everywhere there was raised earth.
When they talked about "growing Terra Preta", there was no mention of
pottery chard additions. Additionally, when the TP that was being
shovelled onto truchs was observed, there was no indication of pottery
shards being present.
> They showed it as especially dense in areas of mound building. Perhaps
> this was structural, giving a "foundation" in the ground, helping to
> prevent erosion, etc.
Another good point. The entire area seemed devoid of rock. If nothing
else, the pottery shards could have acted as armour to prevent rain
erosion until rooted vegetation took hold.

A fascinating problem indeed!!

> I'm only speculating.
Et tu, Brute? :-)

Best wishes,