[Terrapreta] seasoned charcoal

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Wed Dec 12 00:13:50 CST 2007

Readers this a test if I can send html links embedded in text to this
reading list. If it does not work I will repost with links.

Larry - here are links to Flickr images of our time spent today poking
thru your charcoal test bed. For the other readers this bed is a short
garden section where he applied charcoal prepared in a weber BBQ and
treated in a special way only Larry can describe. It is interesting to
both of us because his charcoal seemed to act differently (better)
than the bulk samples we tested at the farm. We are now wondering if
we should be pretreating our charcoal before use to make it attractive
to water

Here is Larry Williams digging into his charcoal test patch, December
11,2007

Most striking to us was the different appearance of the charcoal that
had signs of biological activity and the other type with a dry powdery
interior. The Upper part of image a piece of dry charcoal found in the
soil has no sign of biological coloiization and below a piece of
waterloged char with a segmented worm and  on right side a root hair.
Notice the powdery char scraped up with the blade on the upper piece
and the wet mush on the lower. Sorry not perfect focus will try this
again.

Here is a closer view of the same piece same waterlogged piece with
better focus showing worm on the left left and root hair actually
entering a opening in the piece. This was split open to show this
activity on the interior of the charcoal. More Waterlogged
charcoal ,split open, showing  evidence of biological activity and a
partially charred piece of wood with interior mostly soft and hard
outer shell of char. Lots of evidence of biological activity in this
piece and a hint that partial charring may actually improve habitat
potential for benefital organisms.

Rich Haard
Bellingham, Wa.