[Terrapreta] Terra Preta and Ants

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 15 10:36:41 CST 2007

Jim,

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing...

1.  For example, Japanese studies on mychorizal development
demonstrate that too much charcoal can inhibit plant growth:

The application of charcoal is very effective for VAM development.
But an excess of charcoal inhibits plant growth. This inhibition by
an excessive application of charcoal might be concerned with an
increment of soil pH value. Therefore, an appropriate amount of
charcoal to be applied is less than 20 ton per hectare. Zeolite is
one of the soil materilas. It absorbs chemicals which inhibit VAM
growth, and cleans the soil as charcoal does. But the application of
zeolite does not change soil pH value.

http://bio.kpu.ac.jp/pomlab/Vaminf.html

2. Perhaps some of this inhibitory effect comes from its properties
as a mild pesticide?  Or is it just that an excess of anything is bad?

  see "Insecticidal Effects of Activated Charcoal and Clays"

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v184/n4693/abs/1841165a0.html

Geral