[Terrapreta] volatile matter and char

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Fri Dec 21 10:46:59 CST 2007

Edward

Yes - A key point Ogawa made at the 2002 UGA meeting was a description
of  his study of Azotobacter distribution and activity with latitude
and his graphic showed EU to Japan.(Both less numerous and slower
metabolism for this free living nitrogen fixer). In my discussion with
him about my planned research at the farm he suggested treating the
charcoal with some amount of fertilizer and/or compost and to 'let it
sit for a while' A woman from Cornell at the meeting whose name I lost
also recommended the same charcoal preparation. I was never sure what
he meant about this and why. But Larry's results point out the need to
do this --- or to wait for a few years for the effects to show up.

I only did this in 2002 for a few days and in 2006 put down untreated
charcoal on my block treatment study.

I am preparing the images of Larry's charcoal aging and treatment test
and will post later today but for the moment I would like to ask you
if you have suggestions for a 3 month pretreatment of charcoal , about
3000 lbs we intend to spread on about 60,000 square feet of low
organic matter sandy soil we are preparing for cropping. An equal area
will be left untreated.

We do not know yet if it will be cover cropped and fall planted to
crop or planted immediately. I have become interested because of the
shift in CEC of our charcoal treated section that had been cropped for
4 years.

This would be an opportunity to establish a block treatment

Also Edward can you elaborate on what you mean by' rather complex
inputs'

Rich H

Lastly, distracted by this interesting topic this morning I pyrolysed
my oatmeal. It my wind up in my garden pot and all. :>()