[Terrapreta] Pottery Shards

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 21 23:22:11 CST 2007

Is the deep burial of charcoal and shard material necessarily so
wasteful or excessive in a culture so totally dependant on agriculture?

Recently, we had someone post a message on a university experiment in
Missouri on burying sawdust at those same depths merely for moisture
retention purposes!  The deep burial of highly porous materials in TP
soils would both serve as a very effective nutrient sponge during the
torrential rainy season, as well as water storage for growing crops
in the dry season.  There might not be a lot of microbial activity
below the first foot, but there is some, because there is definitely
root growth lower down. (For example, it's not uncommon to find
Alfalfa roots reaching 40 feet deep. This plant is notorious for
drying out soils.)

Of course deep burial of materials would require a lot of labour;
but ancient civilizations have been known to carry out very extensive
public works even for merely ceremonial purposes, for instance the
building of the pyramids...In the TP case, it could be that groups of
citizens were required to work together to make and bury a given
amount of materials over a given area each year as their clan's
social contribution.

Of course, such communal effort is unthinkable in our present day
individualistic and specialized labour age, except in the case of
emergencies.  We still have it through the mechanism that a
significant percentage of our income goes to taxes to support
services like education, research, policing, postal service, sewage,
law courts, roads, pensions, medical facilities, etcetera which are
then provided back to us as community services.  But before extensive
specialization -  when 90% of the population were farmers and before
the extensive use of money or the notion of private property (private
property was not a popular concept in Amerindian culture) -  citizens
provided labour for community projects...

Just a thought...

Gerrit