[Terrapreta] volatile matter and char

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 22 14:24:45 CST 2007

Just thinking out loud -

It occurs to me, that VM like methanol ( wood alcohol is considered a part of VM is it not? ) while toxic to some forms of life, is used as food by other forms of life, indeed many plants are able to use it to take up carbon at elevated temperatures when the stoma are normally closed to conserve moisture within the plant.

Further, many types of microbial life find methanol to be a feast of sorts, and even when high proof methanol is spilled, it's only the immediate area of the spill that is killed off, but, within a  few days microbes are moving back in to make use of the new food supply with fungi soon to follow.

Could it be, that what we believe to be a toxic VM, is just that when in concentration, but can actually be microbial food when diluted down, and all we have to do, is provide the right nutrients for the microbes to use the VM as food?    Nutrients that might be found in most any compost pile?

Greg H.