[Terrapreta] medium-size charcoal making - the tools?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Dec 23 23:23:06 CST 2007

Hi Andrew,

Did you say you used a ring kiln?  Is that kiln something like the FAO (TPI) kiln?  (two stacked 1 m high x 2 m diameter cylinders, a semi flat conical roof, four stacks set over onto 8 inlet/outlet stubs around the base)?  I've read that two men can use two of those kilns and pyrolyze ~20-23 tons per week from wood feedstock.  That would require preparing wood feedstock of about ~80-100 tons of wood (perhaps 30-50 cords green, depending on the species), then loading ~80-100 cords dry wood feedstock and unloading ~20-23 tons of charcoal every week.

I wonder what you would think of a similar kiln that had an exhaust manifold built to set onto those 8 inlet/outlet stubs ?  It could be built to capture and use the heat and BTUs in the combustible flue gases.  The exhaust gases could be used to supply sensible heat, perhaps fuel an internal combustion engine, or drive a turbine and supply electricity or air pressure.  The compressed air could be used to suck the exhaust flow through the manifold with venturi produced vacuum pressure.  This could clean the emissions (especially Methane-CH4 and particulates), which are normally products from conventional charcoal making.  At the same time, the system could potentially also provide some renewable bio-energy.

There is no reason that "wood gas" or pyrolysis product gas from any biomass source cannot be fired into a combined cycle turbine and make electricity as efficiently and cleanly as a big power company's combined cycle generation system.  The heat alone from burning the combustible product gases (and the excess heat from the pyrolysis reaction as well) can be put to use (e.g. drying feedstock, heating winter green houses, heating farm animal buildings, heating anerobic digesters).

Another important advantage of using this kiln is that it is designed to be "portable".  The "power manifold" can be made removable and transportable as well.  With enough feedstock, the kiln can clean its own emissions "flaring" its own producer gas output.  It may even perhaps be possible with electronically controlled valves, temperature and lambda (oxygen) sensors, to run the kiln at the exact stoichiometric to produce maximum charcoal yield in the minimum amount of time.  All done with no extra input of external energy.  All the required energy would come from the pyrolysis feedstock itself.  The producer gas would run an air compressor and or generator.  The compressed air and valve controls would provide the flow control, with the temperature sensors and lambda sensors providing feedback.

Once there is a "portable" and "clean" way to make charcoal, then charcoal can be made with field residue, then the kiln moved to a new field when its done.  The charcoal could be made and applied right on the same site, removing all the cost and energy required for transporting the biomass feedstock and the charcoal.