[Terrapreta] The economics of biochar

Rick Davies rick.davies at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 07:39:58 CST 2007

Hi Gerard

Thanks for your response. My responses in turn are given below
regards, rick

On Dec 29, 2007 10:40 AM, Gerald Van Koeverden <vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> 1.  The other question to ask is what do you get for 41.76 pounds from
> Climate Care?  For how long will that 5.57 tons of CO2 be sequestered?
>  From previous discussions here, if they are using it to plant trees, it
> might not be doing much for very long.

You can see more on how they do it at
http://www.climatecare.org/projects/technologies/rainforest-restoration/
Reforestation is one method, accounting for 20% of their offsets
It appears that the reforestation work (in Uganda) is new growth that will
provide stable long term storage

> But burying charcoal seems top be a much longer long-term technique of
> sequestering carbon.  So, over the long run, burying one ton of charcoal
> might be the equivalent of planting enough trees to theoretically sequester
> several  times that amount...??  Once this is factored into the equation for
> pricing its value ( amount of effect multiplied by time) you could pay a lot
> more for charcoal...

In the Climate Care case above I think they would argue that the reported
scale of sequestration via reforrestation should not be discounted. But
there is another difference here, which I think is important. That is the
measurability of the sequestration. Calculating the weight of an amount of
charcoal is a lot easier than calculating the net increase in biomass in a
forest.Similarly, the mixing of that charcoal into soil, or compost, could
be videoed, as evidence. But verifying by video or any other means the
maintenance of x amount of added biomass would be much more difficult to do,
especially in a way that the general public could understand.

> 2.  The huge difference between what farmers get for their charcoal and
> what merchants get in the store is both a reflection of the difference in
> incomes between the two, as well as the cost of transportation.  Charcoal is
> very light, but bulk shipping costs are mainly determined by volume.  To be
> economical, charcoal (or char) has to be used close to its production site,
> as you are proposing.

Yes, and I have not figured in the reduction of CO2 omissions resulting from
avoidance of transport costs. But this could be quite variable, so I would
prefer to leave it out. In the UK case the charcoal is produced on a
decentralised basis, but in the Ghana case, you have a sea voyage before it
gets to the UK

> 3.  Until we get some idea of the actual market and thus the dollar value
> of biochar as produced by existing pyrolysis plants, we can't really come up
> with a realistic figure to discover what market prices we soil-stewards are
> competing with locally...

I have assumed that the relevant market price is what existing charcoal
producers are selling their charcoal for. That is what I am trying to
discover in the next week or so

regards, rick

Email: rick.davies at gmail.com