[Terrapreta] Bio-Char Sequestration in Terrestrial Ecosystems -- A Review

Brian Hans earthmimic at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 17:18:01 CST 2007

The beauty of char is that its a fixed carbon sink. once fixed carbon
becomes char, it pretty much stays in that form until burned. char and terra
preta is a way to verify that indeed carbon sequestering is taking place.

terra preta could be paid for by carbon credits. its goes like this;
1 ton of 50% carbon weight biomass gets turned into 1000lbs of char. 1000lbs
of char / .2828 (molecular weight of C in CO2) = 3536lbs of CO2 out of the
air.
the farmer also get friability and increased growth from terra preta so its
also a benefit to the farmer. by combining carbon credits on 3536lbs of CO2
and the farmer paying for the benefit that is terra preta, there is a very
crude economic model. imagine a system whereas we bring in biomass, bleed
off all the important aspects of the biomass, C-H energy and Nutrients, and
are left with a very dense form of char that is land top dressed.

I know Johannes and work specifically on char. this 'could' work if the
desire to remove CO2 from the ATM whilst getting a benefit from that CO2 is
appreciated. the time is not ripe but its getting there...

Brian Hans