[Terrapreta] Superficial velocity & structural and compositional Transformation biomass Chars

Shengar at aol.com Shengar at aol.com
Mon Feb 12 12:50:01 CST 2007

Hi All,

Not being a chemical engineer, and un-read on gasification
I assumed that pyrolysis temps were the main variables on char quantity  &
quality.  However, after reading this paper on superficial velocity,  my
understanding of the complexity of char formation is greatly enhanced,  particularly
of the importance of speed and duration.

_http://www.woodgas.com/Superficial%20Velocity.pdf_
(http://www.woodgas.com/Superficial%20Velocity.pdf)

Reading this paper, along with this one on structural and  compositional
Transformation of biomass chars,
_http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/product.biblio.jsp?osti_id=10121341_
(http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/product.biblio.jsp?osti_id=10121341)  (
please email me for the pdf attachment)
has cleared up much of  this ignorance.

I still feel I'm at most at a high school level understanding of these
chemistries.  I hope other folks interested in biochar who share my lack of
biochemistry understanding and the biochemists/chemical engineers who may  lack the
understanding of horto and agricultural issues can risk looking foolish  as
they try to increase their understanding outside their particular fields of
expertise.

Again we are at the interdisciplinary issue of dropping any pretense of
knowing everything, and being able to learn from those who obviously  know so much
more in their fields.  My greatest desire is for this mailing  list to
perform this function.

Learning as fast as i can,
Regards,
Erich