[Terrapreta] Using wasted energy from ICE exhaust to produce charcoal

jim mason jimmason at whatiamupto.com
Tue Feb 13 14:58:54 CST 2007

i too have thought much about this.  i think anyone who spends anytime
in gasification aimed at ic engines thinks about this.  i have yet to
build my design that recycles waste exhaust heat into the gasifier for
pyrolysis energy, but hope to very soon.

some numbers.

pyrolysis is 200c to 600c.

gas engine exhaust under power are usually 700-800c.  diesels are
usually about 100c lower.

about 1/3 of the fuel energy fed into the ic is being lost out the exhaust.

that is a lot of energy begging to be used to make more fuel for the
engine, and/or char for currently discussed purposes.

ps- more generally, i am very excited about this new list and the
active wondering already in progress on it.  it is great to see an
actual new and open question on the energy front, and people trying to
assemble numbers across specialities and disciplines to address it.
terra preta seems to me about the only new idea in the energy world
that was not already explored in the late 70s and early 80s, during
the last round of energy concerns.