[Terrapreta] How to enter the Virgin Earth Challenge?????????????

jim mason jimmason at whatiamupto.com
Wed Feb 14 20:14:44 CST 2007

On 2/14/07, Shengar at aol.com <Shengar at aol.com> wrote:

> My thoughts Exactly Jim:
>

> What do you think of a consortium of all companies and people interested in
> soil sequestration to collectively apply for the prize. I know it's against
> his proprietary rules, but a strong argument can be made that TP must be
> implemented from the bottom-up as well as the top-down, getting all
> involved, so protocols of TP carbon management are ubiquitous through out
> our economic system. Like  the open source code moment, a lenox
> operating system of TP applications.

well, i don't think it can be a consortium formally, as is no clear
boundary to that.  it would be difficult to make sure all are included
or not included as is needed.

then again,  it could be a "trade association" like entity.  a
professional association for TP.  somewhat like a new academic
professional group.

but really, what i think is needed is both separate and new, as well
as old and just encompassing all that is already happening and giving
it a name.  to me this would be best achieved by forming a new virtual
"institute" or "foundation".  a research/funding entity that supports,
advocates and curates across the whole problem.  i think something as
such would better focus minds and dollars.

such an entity is relevant separate of the branson prize.  there is a
tremendous amount of interest and money orbiting around these issues
currenty.  with a clear place to invest in the discussion and issues,
many other funding sources could likely be interested.  this seems an
easy problem to me.

what is less easy is finding the champion willing to do the social and
organizational entrepeneurship.  and forming a functional board and
network of collaborators to smarty strategize and evangelize it.  i'm
busy, so i don't volunteer myself to do this.  but i'll certainly be
part of the discussion and help make it happen.

as for a name for this new entity, i think you do not want something
descriptive and dry, but rather something evocative and mythic.  you
need to introduce a resonate new term into the popular imagination-
one that references a confluence of new ideas in the world.  the name
needs to suggest a new icon and organizing principle, where previously
there was none.

like the "gaia" concept or picture first pictures of earth from the
apollo missions were to the early environmental movement, the same is
needed for a name for this.

fortunately, i think we already have something somewhat like this with
the term "terra preta".  that is likely why you chose to call the list
"terra preta", and not "agricultural biochar sequestration"

use the mythic name.  as the global solution here will likely require
more effort and movement on mythic and cultural fronts, than on any
scientific horizon (but i'm an anthropologist, so i'm biased, of
course . . . )