[Terrapreta] More Studies Needed on N2O Soil Emissions

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 01:01:41 CST 2007

Emissions for charcoal production are given a bad wrap due to methods shown
in the Yokimori presentation.
 They just let the partial combustion product go up in smoke, which are much
more offensive as greenhouse gases and toxins than CO2.

A lot of info here + Yokimori presentation

Broadband would be useful

http://mail.google.com/mail/

michael

On 14/02/07, Shengar at aol.com <Shengar at aol.com> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
> Could the Soil science folks here  help me in my search for corroborating
> Nitrous Oxide N2O soil emission work?
>

> On the holography Forum there has been concern about quantifying the over
> all equations of Terra Preta's impact on soil N2O emissions.The lack of
> more studies and hard data will make it difficult to prove  TP's extra
> GHG credit for the reported reductions in soil emissions .  I mean with N2O
> being 296 times stronger than CO2 as a GHG, and 40% reductions
> reported, benefits add up quick for equivalent Carbon credits,
> that are no laughing matter :-)
> Cheers ,
> Erich
>

> http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/3451-terra-preta-34.html
>

> *Re: Terra Preta - *02-02-2007, 02:27 AM
>  ------------------------------
>   Quote:
>   Originally Posted by *RBlack* [image: View Post]<http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/3451-terra-preta-34.html#post156938>
> ... about gaseous losses. One paper I read by Lehmann (don't know which
> one but will try and find out), mentiond that TP soils reduce outgassing but
> I don't remember if N2O was mentioned.
> Again, sorry for not being able to give you links yet, which is also why
> I'm sending annoyingly separate replies. There is huge 23Mb Powerpoint
> from Marco A. Rondón, Juan A. Ramirez & Johannes Lehmann from a USDA
> Symposium on C sequestration. Baltimore, March 24, 2005. You could google
> it; I could mail the relevant slides; or you could just take the headlines:
>
> "Net fluxes of methane and nitrous oxide decrease with additions of
> charcoal to soils
> Even small amounts of charcoal added to soils can offset net emissions of
> CH4 and N2O"
>
> N20 emissions reduced by 40% in test trenches of beans + charcoal.
> CH4 emissions reduced by 100 mg per sq m per crop cycle in field
> conditions + charcoal, in one case going negative (absorption).
>
> If these could be verified, I guess they would be creditable under Kyoto,
> unlike the far more effective sequestration of char.
>

> *Re: Terra Preta: when is pollution not pollution? - *02-05-2007, 02:45 AM
>
>  ------------------------------
>   Quote:
>   Originally Posted by *Michaelangelica* [image: View Post]<http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/3451-terra-preta-post157300.html#post157300>
> What is the significance of "significant reductions in . . . N2O emissions
> from soil"
> Nitrous oxide is a global warming gas whose effect is 296 times stronger
> than CO2 (methane is 23 times stronger). See global warming potentials (GWP)
> in Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Climate Change 2001: The
> Scientific Basis <http://www.ipcc.ch/pub/wg1TARtechsum.pdf> (Cambridge,
> UK: Cambridge University Press, 2001)
>
> Fortunately we emit relatively little N2O compared with the carbon gases,
> [...]

Michael Bailes.

"Five years of Guantanamo:
Justice delayed is justice denied"
-Amnesty.International.