[Terrapreta] RealScience website

Zane Lewis zanelewis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 12:13:08 CST 2007

HelloI feel I am too new to terra preta to so a well worded response to
this.  This is the website that Al Gore promoted in his movie.  It is
climate science by climate scientists.  There are numerous reactions that I
did not include.
Zane

19 Feb 2007 Save the World! Earn $25 million! Filed under:

   - Climate Science<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/category/climate-science/>
   - Greenhouse
gases<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/category/climate-science/greenhouse-gases/>

— group @ 4:11 pm

Guest commentary from Juliane Fry, UC
Berkeley<http://www.atmos.berkeley.edu/%7Efry>

On February 9, The Virgin Group chairman Sir Richard Branson announced a $25
million prize for anyone who can demonstrate "a commercially viable design
which results in the removal of anthropogenic, atmospheric greenhouse gases
so as to contribute materially to the stability of Earth's climate." At the
press conference announcing this "Virgin Earth
Challenge<http://www.virginearth.com/>",
Branson was joined by Al Gore, and the panel of judges for the competition
includes additional climate change celebrities: James Hansen, James
Lovelock, Tim Flannery, and Sir Crispin Tickell.

The goal of the competition is to find a method that will remove at least 1
billion tons of carbon per year from the atmosphere. It will be very
interesting to see what ideas come to the fore to scrub CO2 from the
atmosphere. $25m should encourage some creativity! (and of course, once
working should bring in a significant amount of carbon offset money). A
ruckus was caused last year when discussion of injecting SO2 into the
stratosphere to form reflective sulfate aerosols to mask global warming made
scientists feel they needed to state their position on this controversial,
poorly understood proposal. During the discussion, a New York Times feature
(described here<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/06/geo-engineering-in-vogue/>)
discussed various "geo-engineering" alternatives to exert a cooling
effect
to mask global warming. At least in this case, we are not seeking to add
something new and uncertain to the atmosphere, but rather, remove something
that we added.
  2 blog reactions<http://technorati.com/search/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realclimate.org%2Findex.php%2Farchives%2F2007%2F02%2Fsave-the-world-earn-25-million%2F?sub=jscosmos>