[Terrapreta] Simple charcoal grinder

Len Walde sigma at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 20 14:11:38 CST 2007

Clear DayI posted this to a small Blog and others might be interested:

 February 20, 2007

Simple charcoal grinder: Buy, borrow or rent a small cement mixer, collect a number of round (ish) granite river rocks a dozen or less will do, depends on the size of the mixer, ( and put them in the mixer —  , add the charcoal. Clamp or tie a cloth or plastic cover over the opening, to control dust. Turn it on and go have lunch.

If your neighbors ask what you are doing, explain, if you like conversation, or don’t — your option. It can be noisy!  I run mine at commute time!

Good luck.

  Slight update: rock size like a soft ball works well, experiment with the number. Use this idea for compost etc. I screen the output through a 1/4" mesh. Do what you like as to particle size --- experiment.

Len Walde, P.E.

               Sigma Energy Engineering, Inc.
Creative Problem Solving & Process Engineering
Serving Agriculture, Mining, Industry & Commerce
             through "Symbiotic Recycling" tm
                        Est. 1985

      E-mail: sigma at ix.netcom.com