[Terrapreta] Terra Preta & Pigs

Douglas Clayton dnclayton at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 22 22:20:57 CST 2007

I spoke with Dr. Johannes Lehmann this morning and received the clear
message from him that it was a mistake to go fooling around willy-nilly
with charcoal at this time.  Not that it is dangerous but just that it
is hard to learn anything definative. The science isn't there yet to
know what we are doing.  This was a great disappointment to me but I
understand where he is coming from.

Dr. Lehman indicated that the temperature at which the charcoal is
produced is critical, the material being charred and the end use, the
soil type and conditions and the crop being grown are variables about
which we can not yet, say what is appropriate.  Not knowing the source
material means something may work one time but not the next.  He
indicated that it is definitely not a panacea and applying charcoal
can, in some circumstances, do harm to soils and crops.

Never the less, I plan to experiment a little bit in the garden this
summer myself!

How do we check the pH of the charcoal we purchase or produce?

Douglas Clayton
50 Bullard Road
Jaffrey, NH 03452
H. 603-532-7321