[Terrapreta] Potatoes + Tires + Terra Preta

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Fri Feb 23 10:33:19 CST 2007

Jeff

Thank you Michael - I was going to say good idea. If you read my
recent post you can see I was frustrated attempting to include this
research into a producing farm. My friend Larry composted his
charcoal and did his experimental work in an about 30' raised bed. I
like the idea of a replicated experiment using containerized plants.
The image I presented showing plant root and fungal activity on the
large chunks of char is quite inspiring.

I may be similarly inspired to try this approach this summer myself
perhaps 5 gallon or much larger containers .

It is worth while to review the randomized block experiment conducted
by Christoph Steiner in Brazil. Here he multiple cropped back to back
for (?) 3 years and recorded yields of several kinds of crops. His
treatments were charcoal, charcoal+fertilizer, and control. What is
really impressive about his work is that subsequent crops on
fertilizer plus charcoal continued to improve without addition of
fertilizer.

Also to see the terra preta effect as it is expressed in the moist
tropics the the soil or growing medium should be subjected to
leaching as the tropical soils are. We have a sandy loam here - I am
wondering if other list readers have comments on experimental design
and growing medium.

Rich Haard