[Terrapreta] Siwmae pawb

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Wed Feb 28 17:06:01 CST 2007

Hello Rhisiart

It is nice to see your perspective. One my local friends is our
charcoal/gardening discussion applied a fairly large quantity of
ground mesquite charcoal to a plot on his sheep pasture. I have not
heard from him this year yet. Presently, I am completely adsorbed in
reading the Christoph Steiner, et al paper which Tom has posted to
the files section. 'Long Term effects of manure, charcoal and mineral
fertilization on crop production and fertility on a highly weathered
Central Amazonian upland soil'

My farming is traditional dirt type and when we tried using a tufted
type Festuca between rows of a shrub seed orchard we had very poor
growth. In addition, in our seed beds for our bare root native plant
nursery root competition from clover severely limits plant growth.
Our summer drought may be a factor here in PNW , USA.

We had some discussion earlier of the use of containers to test
charcoal amendments.  I went over my  June 2004 image files of a
demonstration at the University of Georgia conference. This was after
Christoph Steiner had presented his research at the conference and
during a field trip to the Epidra test site. I though these might be
interesting to look at.

close-up of corn plants viewed during UGA field trip
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/405067746/in/
set-72157594444994347/>

Dr. C. Steiner on left demonstrating a container experiment of
charcoal/ soil in corn. Presented only to demonstrate the potential
for experimentation with containers.
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/405067746/in/
set-72157594444994347/>

This image has been put here earlier but i present it again to point
out there might be reason to precondition our charcoal (in a compost
pile?, or spend a season under a forest canopy? before using in a
direct test.  As i stated earlier this specimen is from Larry's
garden, Swiss Chard with charcoal he made in his barbeque. Plant
roots and fungi very happily inhabiting the surface of these large
charcoal chunks. I am thinking about this approach and to convert a
1/2 cord of  dry alder into char to make a  - sort of - uniform batch
of  angiosperm char to work with.

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/336553821/in/
set-72157594444994347/>