[Terrapreta] Terra Preta (biochar) Progress in policy circles

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Feb 28 19:19:49 CST 2007

Hi all:

    1.  Today, the organization 25x25  (see www.25x25.org) released its (first-ever, 55-page )"Action Plan" ;  see http://www.25x25.org/storage/25x25/documents/IP%20Documents/25x25ActionPlan.pdf

        On page 31, as one of four foci for recommended RD&D,  the plan lists:     "The development of biochar, animal agriculture residues and other non-fossil fuel based fertilizers, toward the end of integrating energy production with enhanced soil quality and carbon sequestration."
and on p 32, recommended as part of an expanded database aspect of infrastructure:    "Information on the application of carbon as fertilizer and existing carbon credit trading systems."

  2.   I feel 25x25 is now the premier US advocacy organization for all forms of RE -but way out in front on biomass topics. Terra Preta list members in the US will probably find that their elected representatives will respond well to recommendations coming from 25x25 - and we can probably expect our DoE and DoAg will pay attention as well.  I don't know of any more powerful ally than 25x25 to have on our side - so I suggest using these two quotes liberally as you talk to policy people.

3.  I'm not sure exactly who to thank, but TP-list member Mike Bowman (Colorado farmer and 25x25 Board member) probably gets some credit.  At the recent AAAS meeting in San Francisco,  I also heard Reid Detchon (one of the Plan's editors and Executive Director of the prime funding group behind 25x25) use the terms "charcoal" and "sequestration" in the same sentence.  Thanks to Mike and Reid.

4.  I think I may have been the only other person to mention TP at this important AAAS meeting that focussed on sustainability (but I talked to half a dozen other people who seemed to know TP).   My opportunity had to do with organizing a session focusing on a recent ASES report that mentions TP on p 117  (free download of this biomass section http://www.ases.org/climatechange/toc/07_biomass.pdf).

5.  Obviously TP has a long way to go in RE science and policy circles, but we are making some progress!

Ron