[Terrapreta] Charcoal in Compost? 4USA?

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Tue Jul 10 16:27:24 EDT 2007

Sean,

The objective of systems like Advanced Biorefinery, JFBiocarbon, Renewable
Oil, BEST, and several others listed on the TP website is to be either
mobile, portable or central to sufficient resources for conversion to energy
products such as oil and char. Typically you see proposals to export the gas
as electricity after being burned in an engine or a combustion turbine.
Portable pyrolyzers have been demonstrated for more than 30 years. In my
experience none of them have been successful. It's a cash flow problem: you
don't generate enough revenue at the portable scale (25-50 tpd biomass) to
pay the salaries of the operators, let alone the capital and operating
costs. Since 1965 we have designed portable sawmill equipment that has been
used  in thousands of locations around the world. In most cases the portable
mill is set up and runs as a virtually permanent, but lower cost, mill for
years. It is always cheaper to move the material to the mill even where
transportation fuels are high cost, like remote Alaska. The smallest modular
plant that you are likely to see is probably 50 tpd which is a scale that
Advanced Biorefinery and BEST are promoting.

A more practical industrial processing scale is 250 tpd or more (~$15
million?). This becomes a fixed plant fed by 40 or 50 contractors. The total
cost of processing biomass to energy and char product will probably be about
$100/ton of dry biomass. If you only produce one product, char, at a yield
of 20%, then you need to recover $500 from each ton of char ($100/.2 ton=
$500/ton). If the char can be a byproduct of oil, gas or power production
and only has to pay for its portion (20%) of the input biomass  then the
costs attributed to the char are only $100/ton ($20/.2 ton).

Municipal and agricultural biomass residues are never "free."  Typically it
costs up to $30/dry ton to harvest and roadside field crop residues, forest
slash, or construction debris. Then it costs another $20/ton to haul the
residues to a use or disposal point. So the total cost of the biomass
delivered to the processor , i.e. pyrolyzer, can be $50/dry ton. In some
cases the $50/ton is paid by the home owner or developer. In many cases it
is a cost that must be borne by the end use such as fuel or fiber. Add
another $50/ton for processing (and packaging)  and you're at $100/ton. I
think that will be about the minimum ex plant cost for bagged charcoal
products. So a retail, or a delivered, price will probably be in the
$200/ton range. That's what we're paying for similar soil amendments.

In my area we process forest residues, construction residues and field
residues. The costs I used above are similar to our costs for forest
residues and for agricultural residues. Our contractors that are cleaning up
fiber in the forest under stewardship contracts are fortunate that we
currently have pretty good markets for small logs and low quality chips to
help pay for the cost of residue removal. The state of Oregon now offers
$10/ton for biomass use which helps offset harvesting and transportation
costs.  We try to find sites where there is enough "solid wood" in residues
to recover higher value products to help pay for the residue removal. After
solid wood processing about 50% of the wood is still available for energy
and char.

In agriculture we have 2.5-4 tons of removable straw per acre from our
perennial grass seed cultivation. We harvest the straw and repackage or
"process" it for export. We've been doing this since 1974 so we have a
pretty good idea about costs. This year we exported 740,000 tons of straw
(from 400,000 acres) at a price delivered to the port of about $100/ton.
That includes only about $5/ton for profit. To harvest and process the same
straw for charcoal will probably cost about $100/ton. Most of the grass seed
crops are perennial so the charcoal wouldn't be used on the same field until
it is re-established (3-5 years). We don't grow much in the way of row crops
such as corn. The charcoal would be used in horticultural crops or in urban
landscaping. To be used it would have to show a benefit in horticulture, as
you saw at Fourth Corner Nurseries,  or in landscaping.

Put some real numbers on the energy costs (gal oil/ton char, electricity,
etc.) of harvesting and processing and I think you will be surprised.  There
has been a lot of modeling of energy consumption in harvesting and delivery
in the USDOE Feedstocks program.

Tom