[Terrapreta] Biochar trials in China

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Jul 11 12:55:54 EDT 2007

Rob:

    Thanks for sending those pictures.

     My perception is that the plots with rice hull char showed plants with more growth.  Was that your conclusion?  What are the workmen saying?

    You have now had a few more weeks since the photos you sent.  Anything new?

    You didn't show any photos of rows 7 (carrots) and 11 (USA addition).  Any reasons for their exclusion?

    You said there were more extensive scientific tests going on nearby.  How do those differ?  Any off-hand results yet?

    You say below that you are using 20kg per plot.  How large are the plots - or can you estimate the tonnes per hectare application rate?

    Any guesstimates yet on the likely ability to justify the added expense to farmers?   (what is local cost of charcoal?  Any big deal to adding the char?  How was it worked in?)

    Or - how much money might be needed from those with Kyoto agendas?  (I assume it too early to answer all these questions - but maybe you have given it some thought already)

    Again - very nice work.  This will be very helpful it seems.

Ron