[Terrapreta] Incineration and pyrolsis technology.

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 00:06:52 EDT 2007

Hi Gerald

That is a good question.  The real issue is the level
of carbonization.  Anything that is not fully
charcoaled can still be attacked by the local biology
very quickly.  And will be, even if wood.

Corn will revert to a powdered charcoal which the
Amazon proves is good for hundreds of years.  Wood
charcoal would actually need to be pulverized before
it is incorporated into soil.  Fortunately very easy.

What is wonderful about charcoal is that is sucks up
any soluable salt with a free ion and hangs onto it
until a biological agent appears capable of removing
it even years later. That sounds like a nutrient to
me.

I had speculated for years as to whether charcoal
could be beneficial to agriculture.  I never imagined
that the indians of the Amazon would hand us thousands
of years of proof!   Decades of research have just
been short circuited

regards

bob