[Terrapreta] Biochar trials in China

Robert Flanagan saffechina at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 10:10:24 EDT 2007

See photos at: http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=gallery
<http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=gallery&g2_itemId=754>
&g2_itemId=754

And http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/flanaganchinabiochar

Hey Ron,

I've posted some clips on www.youtube.com so I won't be blocking any one's
email server just go to www.youtube.com and do a search for "Terra Preta" or
"Biochar". The attached photos are of plots 8,9&10. If you want the clips to
see the difference a little better I can mail them to you direct.

In total I've 48plots so I focused on the middle as much as possible as the
natural lean on the land the far end of the field appears to have almost no
nutrition (very poor growth). But you can see the clip on youtube showing
the USA nutrient but the carrots are not up as yet so I left them out.

Regarding other trials I've got going, This area called "Longwu" if famous
for green tea so I've treated a few rows for one farmer with nutrient and
had him turn on our sound unit every morning and last thing in the evening.
Already he yield on the treated side has produced more then 60% that of the
untreated rows. We've already met with the leaders of the village and should
be starting a much bigger (4ha) full scientific trial on green tea
production.

I've got another large farmer that has 40ha of ornamental trees (For the
Japanese market) doing trials on sound+nutrient, sound no nutrient in one
green house and the far side of his property he has nutrient and control. So
far the sound+nutrient is a little more than double the control on height.
We'll continue to take sample over the coming weeks but on completion of
this trial we'll take 100samples from each section and get the real deal on
what's happening. Later if I'm successful I'll introduce the idea of using
biochar in the potting mix.

In Hainan Island I have a few thousand (About 6K survived) Jatropha saplings
ready to go in the field that all had 10% rice husk charcoal mixed in with
the potting mix. I hope to send this company another 50Kg of seeds and
expand this project later this month. They are also using my sound unit and
nutrient but have not taken any control plants as they are not interested in
research only commercial (And that's fine to).

We've also planted trees on the site we amended last year using three
application rates of bamboo charcoal. We sent Cornell soil samples last year
so now the land will not be cropped, I think Janice plans to return later
this year along with one student to conduct a follow up study.

KC Das lands tomorrow so I'll take a few more pic's and pass them on then,

Kind regards,

Rob.