[Terrapreta] Wood harvesting

Sean K. BArry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Jul 15 19:03:06 EDT 2007

Hi Joe,

We should find this place and try to convince these people to pyrolize the culled biomass into charcoal right on site.  They can still take half the energy as producer gas or synthesis gas from the pyrolysis reaction.  The gas can be transported in bottle trucks and burned, rather than the biomass.  The remaining charcoal, which contains the other half of the energy, can be tilled right into the soil in the forestland.  Maybe some North Carolina businesses would buy "carbon credits" for the sequestered carbon in the charcoal.

The point of the experiment would be not be to show the soil benefits (although I expect they will accrue in that soil), but rather to show the economics of making "Neo Terra Preta", and harvesting "carbon negative" energy.  This should be an important objective of this group.  It will require development.  We could get started with an experiment like that.