[Terrapreta] FW: Alkaline Soils - Terra Preta

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Wed Jul 18 00:26:23 EDT 2007

In relation to pH change in soil on adding charcoal.

I have completed soil analysis on 29-17 foot test plots with  two
charcoal types , compost,fertilizer and permutations. I have just
received the results I sent in several weeks ago to the University of
Massachusetts, Soil and Plant Tissue Testing Lab.  This evening I am
entering the data into my database program for study.

One point is quite clear. The charcoal treatments have not effected
either soil pH or buffer pH. PH in the test plots ranges from 5.6 to
6.0 and buffer pH 6.3-6.4.  No trend at all related to the charcoal
treatments. Ash content of one of the charcoal types was quite high -
see earlier posting on proximate analysis.

I did wait about 6 weeks after setting up the experiment before
conducting the soil tests.

Any comments from Dr Reddy  on effect of charcoal treatments on soil
pH in his project?

Rich Haard, Bellingham, Washington