[Terrapreta] growth

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 31 16:46:36 EDT 2007

I'm on Sean's side in this debate.  To get enough charcoal into the
soil to jump-start the process and get ahead of the leaching by
torrential monsoons, I suspect they would have had to do slash-and-
char of the tropical forest.

(A huge tree can be brought down simply by girdling it and letting it
die, and then burning away at the base to bring it down, (or maybe
even encouraging the termites attack it?)

It's possible that corn stover was charred as well, as you described,
but to maintain and up the quantity of char in the soil, rather than
jump-start the process.  I would strongly doubt that there could be
enough char produced from a few crops of corn to counter the leaching
sufficiently to maintain and build fertility.

The only thing that the presence of corn and cassava pollen proves is
that those crops were grown on, or near, that land.  In fact, I've
read that Brazilians of the present day avoid planting cassava on the
terra pretas.  Cassava doesn't produce enough shade cover to compete
successfully against the heavy weed infestations that 'plague' the
nutrient-rich TPs.

gerry

On 31-Jul-07, at 1:07 PM, Robert Klein wrote:

> [...]
>

> This goes to the heart of the problem facing the
> originators of the terra preta soils.
>
> 1     They did not have the tools to physically handle
> the available biomass.  We actually have limitations
> today.  Their solution was as always to use slash and
> burn.  The burn off of the undergrowth would also kill
> off the larger trees which would then rot out over the
> next two years or so.  Remember, that this is the
> Amazon.
>
> 2    The ash would provide the nutrients for corn and
> cassava culture.  Without terra Preta methods, this
> would be exhausted in two to three years.
>
> 3      With terra preta methods applied to the corn in
> particular, and a continuing burn off of the field to
> suppress weeds and regrowth we get the resultant soils
> with a modest labor input.
>
> 4     I emphasize the corn because it clearly produces
> the several times as much biomass as any likely crop
> can produce, and it lends itself to the manufacture of
> a biochar stack.  However, any other convenient waste
> material that could be handled by hand would also be
> thrown into the stack.
>
> 5    Pollen analysis has confirmed the two principal
> crops of corn and cassava, which ended any uncertainty
> I might have had.
>
> The problem is that the only energy available to a
> farm family then was their own.  That is the over
> riding constraint that we cannot avoid.
>
> --- "Sean K. Barry" <sean.barry at juno.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> You said this again, (and I questioned before
>> whether you meant what you had posted before) ...
>>
>> "As I posted a while back, the only practical way
>> that
>> the soils in the Amazon could have been created
>> would
>> have been in conjunction with the bio charring of
>> corn
>> stover."
>>
>> Why do you think the Ancient Amazon rainforest had
>> corn, circa 2500 B.C. or since?  I think, like now,
>> that there is far more "rainforest" fauna in that
>> biome (i.e. big trees, in a jungle, like American
>> Mahogany trees, etc.), rather than corn, or maze.
>> Don't you?  There surely is now.  Is there any
>> evidence that the charcoal in the Amazon is from
>> corn stover?  The native soils (without charcoal
>> amendments) in the Amazon rain basin are Antisol and
>> Oxisol soils.  These are high in Aluminum Silicates
>> (clays), low in carbon, and very low in organic
>> material (humus) or plant nutrients.  Corn will
>> hardly grow in this kind of soil.  It's kind of a
>> chicken or the egg thing.  Corn can't grow well
>> until you plant it in "Terra Preta" soil - "Terra
>> Preta" soil is made by amending soil with charcoal
>> made from lots of corn?!
>>
>> Do you have any evidence for your conjecture?  Or,
>> are you supposing that corn stover must be the only
>> or main source of biomass used to make the charcoal
>> in the original "Terra Preta" soils of the Ancient

>>> (.71)
>>> Total =  6 plots charcoal and control OM = 4.73
>>> (.79)  N=5 (5.1)
>>> Total =  4 plots charcoal  OM = 4.8 (.27)  N=
>> 6.25
>>> (6.1)
>>>

>>> Total =   2 plots compost OM=5  (.57) N=10 (2.8)
>>> Total =   4 plots compost and charcoal OM=5.78
>>> (.60) N=12.75 (3.4)
>>> Total =   4 plots compost and fertilizer and
>>> charcoal OM=5.5 (.34)
>>> N=19.25 (7.3)
>>> Total =   2 plots compost and fertilizer OM=5
>> (.42)
>>> N=34 (2.8)
>>>
>>> Total =  2 plots fertilizer OM= 4.65 (.77) N=20