[Terrapreta] Soil improvemnet (sic) from oil ?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Jun 1 12:57:43 CDT 2007

Hi Duane and All,

It's kind of a dreamy supposition, I think, that we can continue to burn fossil fuels of any sort (oil, coal, or natural gas) at current or even greater levels, because now we could just use charcoal made from increased biomass to negate all the amount of CO2, NOx, and or SOx going into the atmosphere from the burning of fossil fuels.

You say, "Grow plants to capture the carbon dioxide". I say that is already occurring. Why haven't the plants that are growing (on the land and/or in the sea) already taken up the excess carbon dioxide humankind has pumped into the atmosphere?   The terrestrial plant growth alone already does take up ~53 Gt of carbon and fixes it into ~132 Gt of new plant growth every year.  The oceans do almost as much again.  So, what's another 6 Gt of anthropogenic carbon?  Well, it doesn't work!  The plants are not taking up the excess carbon we pump into the atmosphere.  The plant growth (and photosynthetic productivity) has not bloomed up to make up the difference.

In fact, human activity in agriculture is going the other way with photosynthetic productivity of land.  Every acre of virgin land that we convert from savanna and put under cultivation, we reduce the amount of CO2 fixing capacity of that land.  We till it up (emitting green house gases) and we plow in green house gas emitting fertilizers onto it.  We drive green house gas emitting equipment on it and to/from it to till, plant, fertilize, harvest, and ship crop produce from it.

The crops get eaten and respired as CO2 by people and animals (fart CH4 methane too!) and the agricultural wastes get left to decompose on top of the soil until the next growing season (emitting CO2 the whole time).
The pig shit and cow manure gets left in pools and is composted in open air into organic fertilizer (emitting green house gases the whole time).

Industrial agriculture and burning fossil fuels CAN NEVER restore the green house gas balance in the atmosphere.  We have to STOP burning fossil fuels.  We have to change dramatically the way we do agriculture.  We are not going to find "virtuous circles" that involved things the way we are already doing it.
We have to change.  We have to observe the natural way of things and get ourselves involved in the natural "positive feedbacks" that are out there, not try to synthesize them from human activity.  We just cannot compete with "Mother Nature" on how to operate the natural world and we have got to stop trying.

We need realization about the human place in the natural world, not rationalization that current human activity
can somehow fit the natural way of things.  If that were true, then we would not be changing the world climate as we are.  We don't "fit in" the way we do things now.  That just has to change.