[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 5, Issue 17

Rhisiart Gwilym Rhisiart at DDraigGoch.org
Fri Jun 1 19:14:18 CDT 2007

Dave asks:

"So, I wonder if someone could direct me to the newbie page that explains why
the obvious things don't work and maybe some of the basic techniques?"

Siwmae Dave,

There's a very long, but just marvellously inspiring answer to this
question -- 575 A4 pages, in fact. It's called 'Permaculture', by
BIll Molllison; the copyright-1990 edition of his work. Bill has had
soil under his fingernails all his long life. One of the basic tenets
of his great, global vision is that you can make good soi, pretty
quickly, out of any substrate, no matter how miserable to start with,
so long as the ground isn't permafrost, or as dry as the Atacama.
Anything between these extremes can be made to bloom -- copiously.

Both he and many of his younger followers have proved this
practically, many times over, and starting in some seemingly
impossibly bad places. His book is just a great rolling mass of
practical techniques, words and explanatory drawings, all drawn from
experience rather than just theory, but with an encyclopaedic
knowledge of the theory-and-technical-information banks as well. He
covers all the possible growing zones of the world -- tropics, dry
and wet; desert right up to the nearly permanently waterless ones;
mediterranean climate zones; boreal temperate; you name it, Bill's
worked there and designed practical permaculture plans for particular
places, which have subsequently been worked up into dense
productivity of food and other necessaries.

Another startling basic idea of the leaders of the permaculture
movement is that the present human population of the world, or an
even larger one, could be fed adequately from LESS agricultural land
area than we use currently with such abysmal INefficiency and
unsustainable destructiveness (sic!), and that some of the land
currently in use needs to be re-designated as part of the remediated
lands which permacultural thinking insists needs to go back into
permanent wilderness, as an essential part of healing the damage that
we've done to the planet, and keeping it well hereafter. This,
according to permaculture thinking, would make possible a
re-harmonised and genuinely sustainable relationship for humans with
the rest of the lifeweb, and would enable us to bring the population
level back down to well below its current unsustainable overshoot
level, without a global catastrophe.

This view of things at first seems so at odds with the our
increasingly pessimistic view of how things are going that it may
seem difficult to take on board at first sight. But I have to say
again that it isn't just speculation, but repeatedly-demonstrated,
practical capability. Take a look at David Blume's work too --
another permaculturist with dirty hands from way back and with an
absolutely phenomenal way with making land bloom fecundly and
sustainably  -- at www.permaculture.com.

Should you get Bill's big book, I recommend reading it right through,
whichever climate zone your own land is in, since
universally-applicable techniques and ideas are densely scattered
throughout the text. As you can with any great work, I keep going
through it again and again, and finding new insights every time.

Cofion gorau,       Rhisiart Gwilym