[Terrapreta] New memberto the Terra Preta group

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Jun 1 23:07:02 CDT 2007

Hi Dave,

Welcome to our group.  I hope you will enjoy the blog and the rapport we have here, in this group.

To try and answer the request in the your post, I would say that much is NOT known, YET.  The best research I think I've seen was done by a guy, who lived in Brazil (the home of the original Terra Preta).  His name is Dr. Christoph Steiner.  I've attached one of the latest of his research papers.  It's a technical soil scientists read, but I have found his experimental procedures solid and his analysis and summaries insightful.  Christoph is a member of this group.

Now, I have shameless plug for my company, Troposphere Energy, LLC.  I will be making charcoal soon with either of two wood/biomass gasification systems, which I am now building.  You could buy some charcoal from me?  I will give you the fairest price I can.  You could use as much as you want in any kind of "Neo Terra Preta" research, that you can think of or want to do.  If you want to, you can specify to me the feedstock and the characteristics you want the charcoal from me to have.  I will work with you on making charcoal any way you want.  You could also buy from me any kind of gasification system/charcoal pyrolysis reactor or kiln (which we could design together, even?), which I am confident I can build, and then make all the charcoal you want out of whatever you want.

I will be setting maximum production temperatures for the charcoal process, residence times, and getting proximate analysis and pH measurements done on all of the charcoal I make, at minimum.  I will probably start with 3rd party lab analysis.  Eventually, I will follow on with doing the ASTM test procedures and characterizing the charcoal myself.  I will be trying to use as many different biomass resources as I can get my hands on.

I want to research the options of inoculating charcoal (and/or soil) with beneficial soil microorganisms.  I want to research composting with charcoal.  I want to research growing gardens and landscapes with charcoal on my own property and I want others to do it with my charcoal on their property.  I want to research ways to make charcoal production for sequestration in agriculture earn money.  I want research partners who will do this kind of stuff with me, in gardens and plots and pots, with charcoal I and they make.

I think, that if you do anything with "Neo Terra Preta" forming, then you should stay in communication with this group and tell us all about your experiences.

I hope to hear from you again in here.

Best Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner