[Terrapreta] Three-party sales agreements - formerly Re: Global Carbon Cycle

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 04:55:41 CDT 2007

Sean (cc terra preta list).  See also few notes below on my point #4 issue - which I want to put in a different "box" (sales) than yours (accounting).  I am concerned that we have some complicated future three-way transactions to deal with.  Granted that some can be as simple as you describe below - but others are going to require new procedures to have the "UN" be putting money into TP transactions.  We have to make the deals simple.  For a $1000 or $10,000 purchase of char by someone, with a potential rebate of a portion through application to the "UN" - there will be a strong reluctance by the UN to go back annually for new payments.  The transaction costs would be excessive.  I am partly concerned about the benefits of placing the char in the ground - but more about how to capture in the initial deal with the "UN" the extra CO2 to be removed in out-years due to the initial char deposition.

    Another way of getting at this multiplier issue is to say we need to prove that diverting char from the energy part of the economy is a wise investment for getting more eventual energy (and indirectly more CO2 removal) from the increased productivity of the soil.  I hear regularly that it is better to simply consume that charcoal (NOT place any in the ground) and avoid the CO2 emissions associated with the fossil energy displaced immediately.  I am convinced that is not correct - that more fossil energy and more CO2 can be displaced with the TP investment.  It is this multiplier phenomenon that I am saying we need to address if we are to make TP adoption occur more rapidly.