[Terrapreta] Global Carbon Cycle

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Sat Jun 2 10:15:35 CDT 2007

I think Sean makes a very good point here. I've been trying to follow the
machinations of the Kyoto protocol for ten years since Canada first signed
on to it. Canada's government of the day established a "National Climate
Change Process" to try and evaluate what would need to be done to meet the
Kyoto commitment. I was fortunate to be one of the 450 experts pulled into
that massive exercise from industry, government, and environmental
organizations. Please note these people were not climate experts - but those
deemed to have knowledge of techniques to manage greenhouse gases.  That
work brought many of the factors considered to my attention.

Canada was at the forefront of Kyoto negotiations in trying to get credits
for sequestration from agricultural initiatives including forestry -
particularly in the absence of the US. In the course of my involvement, I
came across many discussion papers agonizing over the length of time carbon
sinks from such initiatives as low till agriculture and forest growing would
remain intact. Carbon accounting "bean counters" agonized over complex
formulae to account for the impermanence of such sinks.

When I first came across the "Neo Terra Preta" concept about four years ago,
I saw it as a way to bypass that kind of complexity. Charcoal apparently
lasts for up to thousands of years in the soil.  Our economic system
discounts the value of future events. Even if charcoal only lasts a couple
of hundred years in the soil that is so far in the future our economic
system should not be concerned with its durability.

Thus the simple system of crediting the carbon sink when the charcoal goes
in the ground, as Sean suggests, fits well with our economic systems - and
common sense - and does not require a complex accounting system. Of course
those designing an accounting system will want proof that charcoal does keep
the sink out of the atmosphere with no significant return through decay or
conversion back to greenhouse gases in any way in a time period for which
the future value remains significant.

Duane