[Terrapreta] Global Carbon Cycle

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon Jun 4 14:00:40 CDT 2007

Dear Sean

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Maybe, I just see bigger potential for "Neo Terra Preta".  I think it
> is a fantastic agricultural soil amendment to put charcoal in the
> soil.  The productivity gains in that soil, especially degraded or
> poor soil could be tremendous.  This was proven by what the ancient
> Amazonian people were able to do.

If TP is as good as you say (and I believe it is) they why not go with
it now, and the Climate Benefits will be an added bonus later.

> I also see that putting "fixed carbon" in the form of charcoal into
> the soil is likely what lead to this bloom of soil organic matter and
> plants in those regions which have been made into "Terra Preta".  The
> input of carbon were made thousands of years ago, and the bulk of it
> is still there.  Ergo, "Terra Preta" sequesters carbon too.

Sure!! But waiting to get paid for these benefits with Carbon Credits
should, in my opinion, should stand on its own merits.

> It likely the least expensive method to remove atmospheric carbon and
> it has the side benefit of improved agricultural productivity.  I
> don't hear or read any "diffusive" arguments against it.  Kevin, if
> you can post a "diffusive" argument against using "Neo Terra Preta"
> land reforming as a way to redcue atmospheric CO2, then post it.  I'd
> revel in the ensuing debate.  I and others in this group would
> postulate that there are several solid arguments for using "Neo Terra
> Preta" as a atmospheric mining (of carbon) and carbon sequestration
> method.  It's direct, effective, inexpensive, and promotes life.

I can see no argument against TP, but as noted elsewhere, there are
diffusive arguments relating to the extent of Climate Benefits, if TP
and Climate Benefits are "rolled into one package."

> China and India actually are signatories of the Kyoto Protocol and
> both have ratified it.  Under that treaty, as developing (Non-Annex
> I) countries, they are not required to reduce emissions of green
> house gases (yet!).  At the time of the signed (circa 2002), the
> emissions outputs from those countries was very small by comparison
> to the other industrialized (Annex I) and developed countries (Annex
> II).  Annex I and Annex II countries get to pay the freight fro
> global climate amelioration.  That is why greedy Dubyah and the good
> ole USA did not sign. The main two standouts to the Kyoto Protocol
> Treaty are the USA and Australia.  Nearly everybody else on the
> planet is signed up, ratified, and doing business.  I for one would
> really like to know why that is?  How in Hell did the US and
> Australia decide it would be okay to "shirk their responsibilities"
> for polluting the world and actually believe they can get away with
> it?  This and conduct a war to get even more fossil fuel energy to
> throw into everybody else's atmosphere?

These things puzzle me also. They probably avoid paying Carbon Credit
Monies if they don't sign. ;-)

> In my opinion, "Neo Terra Preta" is a miracle in the making.  I
> believe it can do BOTH improving world wide agricultural productivity
> and reducing atmosphere carbon.  In my opinion, developing "Neo Terra
> Preta" land reforming technology and methodologies in the USA is the
> very best thing I can think of to do, to justify living in the most
> atmospheric filth creating country on this planet.

Sure, TP is good, but don't let it get bogged down by having its
implementation tied to Carbon Credits Implementation.

Best wishes,

Kevin