[Terrapreta] Flaring the more potent GHG in the off gas from acharcoal kiln?

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Mon Jun 4 18:49:56 CDT 2007

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> <<snipped>>
>
> There are some people who could only make the charcoal.  They may not
> have the abilities or the capital to afford or use a device that does
> more than make charcoal.  They may only be interested in the charcoal
> because they want to make Terra Preta.  Whatever type of simple
> "charcoal kiln" these people are using, there should be a provision in
> the design to burn "flare off" the methane, because it is better to
> burn it, than just not use it.
<<snipped>>

This applies to my present experiments.
I want to spend as little cash on the experiment as possible.
I have no present use for the heat.
If I just wanted the charcoal, I could care less about the smoke and
possible extra GHGs I produce.
However, I want to get the device to flare off the smoke, because I want
to be able to show it doing so, so that others, who might wish to
emulate what I'm doing, on a small scale will also do the right thing.
There is also the personal satisfaction inherent in doing this as
elegantly as I presently can.

Kurt
elegance being another reason for editing quotes