[Terrapreta] Flaring the more potent GHG in the off gas from acharcoal kiln?

code suidae codesuidae at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 20:21:01 CDT 2007

On 6/4/07, Sean K. Barry <sean.barry at juno.com> wrote:

>  If we attempted to make and bury charcoal [without concern to the waste
> gases] on a huge scale (and we need to make charcoal on a huge scale to
> build up enough "Neo Terra Preta" land formations), then we would dig an
> even deeper hole than we are already in.

I don't believe that anyone is suggesting this. Without putting words in
Kurt's mouth, I think that the point is that on the small scale of research,
the gases produced are utterly inconsequential. You could probably reduce
your methane GHG contribution by eliminating (as much as possible) beef,
chicken and pork products from your life than you could by flaring your
charcoal waste gas.

For the absolute minimum effect on the atmosphere, whatever is released from
> making charcoal in a kiln, it needs to be completely combusted!

The point of research is not to have a minimum effect on the atmosphere. It
is to learn, as quickly as possible, how to have a minimum effect on the
atmosphere /on an industrial scale/.

Apologies for my multiple and voluminous posts on this subject, I'm getting
carried away. I think my position is clear, so I'll shut up now :)
--
"Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know." - M. King
Hubbert