[Terrapreta] New memberto the Terra Preta group

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Jun 5 00:42:28 CDT 2007

Hi Dave (aka Code, or DOK) et al,

Ask Tom Miles, the Terra Preta site manager about accessing Christoph Steiner's most recent paper.  I believe it is already on this site, cited somewhere.

Tom,

Could you put the "Encyclopedia of Energy" paper on the site somewhere too, with a reference from me, SKB?
I had it attached in a previous post, it was a big one (another one, right Kurt?) then too.

... Anyway, when do you anticipate having charcoal with a documented pedigree available?

I think I can reasonably say this summer.  I will make the first bits out of oak from oak logs.  I'll probably char up every square inch of "Buck Thorn" and other slash and shrubs from around the yard that I can, and use it on the yard also.  I know some people in the chemistry and ag departments at the University.  So, I was going to start with having them do the "proximate analysis" tests of the charcoal I produce and the feed stocks too, maybe (depending on cost).  I need to finish up a few more things on the pyrolyzer/gasifier first (venturi, erect it on a metal tower/stand, get a wood chipper, make a wood chip feeder, and etc., but I will be making charcoal soon.

If you want to send me cotton wood (or just specify it, I will find some) and I can make a special batch just for you (as cheap as I can).

I wonder if a small system could be designed to serve the dual purpose of charcoal production and downdraft gasification (though not at the same time). I have plans to purchase a large stationary engine (that, curiously enough, I'm sourcing from a guy less than an hour's drive from you) for the purpose of experimenting with wood gas as an engine fuel. A system that could serve both purposes would be elegant.

This is exactly what my device is intended to do, Dave!  If you are going to be just an hour away, then you should come here and see my gasifier and we could talk more.  I'll make you lunch and give you the tour at TE headquarters.  We would have fun.  Plus, we could talk about making that engine you will be getting run from the gas out of my gasifier.  I have every intention of doing that myself.  I going to start with the old lawn mower engine, then convert the 10HP Tecumsi engine in 5000 Watt Genset.

Our goals are in precise harmony.

DOK

This is just too cool.  Synergy with a collaborator like you, Dave, might be very exhilarating experience.  I would enjoy the face to face conversation.  When will you be an hour away?  Call me or let me know in an E-MAIL when you are coming close.  You are more than welcome to come and visit me, so please do try to come here then, too.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC