[Terrapreta] Global Carbon Cycle

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Jun 5 13:33:01 CDT 2007

Hi Kevin,

Look at you ... applying scientific reasoning to this question.  I thought you were a strict adherent to the "suck it and see" philosophy.  The women are engaged in a little Amazon native style "trail and error" exchange.
Let them be?  ... Or, you'll start to sound like me.

  From: Kevin Chisholm<mailto:kchisholm at ca.inter.net>
  To: Kelpie Wilson<mailto:kelpie at kelpiewilson.com>

  She might be a wonderful person, and might mean well, but my thoughts
  are she doesn't have a clue.

  1: Why "sweeten" water water that is going to drain away from the plants?

  2: Ask her to define what she means by "sweeten"

  3: Charcoal Starter Additives are usually nitrates, or petroleum
  products (waxes, plastics, etc) The former should make the plants grow
  better, if she saved the excess leach water, and then used it to water
  the plants the next time around. The latter are insoluble, and should
  behave as though they weren't there.

  4: Why waste good charcoal as a mere drainage medium, when she could
  accomplish the same basic thing with stones that are alot cheaper?

  5: Did she mention anything about crushing up the charcoal and mixing it
  with the soil? If not, then she is prolly missing the point.

  I might be wrong, but those are my thoughts. :-) Please let me know if I
  am in error.

  Best wishes,

  Kevin