[Terrapreta] Carbon Trading Scheme

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Jun 6 00:53:44 CDT 2007

Hi Lou, et. al.

The main "kink" in the "Carbon Trading Scheme" so far, has been that the "carbon sinks" created so far have required complicated mechanisms to evaluate the "future value" of the carbon that will accrue in the sink.

"Neo Terra Preta" land reforming can totally eliminate this problem.  The amount of carbon in the charcoal, which is then put into the ground is easily measurable.  The more actual carbon that can be buried, the more "carbon credits" can be sold by the operator (the collier/terra-former).  No complex computation of "future values" needs to ever occur.

I do recognize, too, that in actuality there will be greater amounts of carbon accruing into these "Neo Terra Preta" sinks.  But it will be "soil organic carbon" and "biomass".  This forms of carbon decays much faster, is much harder to measure, and it is very difficult to predict the future amounts of it (this is the recognized "kink" the carbon traders are trying to deal with now).  The UN does not want to be going back years after to re-measure carbon amounts and/or pay more, they want to pay once and move on.

Tom wrote:
Countries are better off managing their own carbon to live within their (our) environmental means.

Tom, we will never do this.  We never have.  I think you know this.