[Terrapreta] Fwd: Fwd: Global Carbon Cycle

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Jun 6 02:00:00 CDT 2007

Dear Sean

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Kevin, et. al.,
>
> Kevin wrote: ... Effect, and as far as I can see, saving Mature
> Forests is a blatant Carbon Credit Scam.
>
> There is standing carbon mass in that mature forest.  If it is
> cleared and burned, then it will put CO2 into the atmosphere.  It is
> is harvested and turned into timber, then the biomass is dead and if
> will decompose, again putting CO2 into the atmosphere (how many
> wooden structures last more than 50 years in a rainforest?).

If a mature tree is not harvested, it stops being a net carbon sink, and
will fall over when overmature, and rot.

> If Brazil foregoes clearing & burning or harvesting that biomass,
> then they actually do prevent carbon from going into the atmosphere.

If they harvest the trees and out them to use, they eliminate the
immediate rotting problem, and make way for vigorous new trees that will
sequester C.

> They forego taking the monetary gains they would otherwise enjoy, by
> selling harvested wood, by using harvested energy, and/or by using
> the land for agricultural production.

There is a MAJOR difference between converting harvested forest to
pasture or building lots, and returning it to forest cover.

> I do not think it is a scam for any developing country to want to
> sell "carbon credits", because they will forego potential profits, by
> maintaining an existing carbon sink.  They should get paid for doing
> this.  Why should they bear an "opportunity" cost?  They want to
> charge for missing an opportunity for profits, which they could
> otherwise take.

If they don't harvest a mature forest, the trees die and release tehir C
through rotting. Why should they get paid to allow trees to rot???

> Do you see a problem with this argument?

Sure do!! Trees do not remove C from the Biosphere, and should not get a
Carbon Credit for doing so, when they don't. If they converted these
trees to Terra Preta, and then reforested, this would be wonderful, and
tehy would indeed deserve maximum payment for Carbon Credits. On the
other hand, if they converted forest land to pasture with teh same
quantity of carbon, they should get paid a lesser carbon credit.

Also, it is very important to distinguish between A: Carbon already in
teh Biosphere and B: Carbon additions to the Biosphere.

> There is one more aspect of the "Carbon Trading Scheme", that I think
> you do not know about.  The only places where you can sell "carbon
> credits" are for doing projects in developing or underdeveloped
> countries (called Non Annex I countries).  The industrialized and
> developed countries (Annex I and Annex II countries) can only pay to
> buy "carbon credits".  This is set up this way because the vast bulk
> of the current burden of carbon in the atmosphere was put there by
> the industrialized and developed countries, not by the developing
> countries.  We are being asked to pay to clean up our own mess.  They
> are being paid to help us do this.

Thanks!! I had not realized that. It makes even more sense in Firest
World Countries to promote TP on its agricultural merits alone, but in
the Third World, to promote on Agricultural and possible future carbon
credit advantages

> This is the sense of the "Carbon Trading Scheme" that has been
> envisioned by the Kyoto Protocol Treaty.
>
> I hope this helps, Kevin.  I am fairly sure I understand it
> correctly, but if anyone sees this differently, then I'd be glad to
> discuss it.

It is indeed a complex problem, and many established interests will have
to change if C levels in teh Biosphere are to be reduced.

Best wishes,

Kevin