[Terrapreta] The Humphrey Pump Connection?

Jeff Davis jeff0124 at velocity.net
Wed Jun 6 23:43:45 EDT 2007

Sean wrote:

There isn't a collier among us, I think, who could really give you a
 qualified answer to your question about tar and condensates being helpful to
 plants.  However, there are some soil scientists on this list, who I think
 could.  Christoph Steiner has done some research in this area and has
 hypothesized that these bio-oils, tars, poly-aromatic hydrocarbons, volatile
 matter, i.e. variously named constituents found in charcoal do in fact
 provide a benefit for growing plants.  The benefit is through an indirect
 effect.  It is his view that the bio-oils provide a "food" source for
 decomposition by soil microorganisms, which promotes the growth of them.
 Their enhanced healthy population, then, in turn, helps plants to grow
 better.

Some where 912.5 miles west-northwest of Lake Erie, USA