[Terrapreta] VM composition

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Fri Jun 8 08:39:09 EDT 2007

hi

Still waiting for the results to come in on our tests. It's only
money and is darned interesting. Will report for your comments.

I'm wondering now what good charcoal is in terms of VM and use in
soil. My understanding that the slash and char strategy in moist
tropics was low temperature of formation and that this embedded VM
could be considered substrate for colonizing organisms? In addition,
reading articles on the beneficial properties for plants of wood
vinegar - apparently a water soluble component of smoke that
smoldering combustion included this material and perhaps we should be
pretreating our char with this before use.

Rich H