[Terrapreta] Soil microorganisms

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Jun 11 22:56:25 EDT 2007

Hi Sean

As Alan has stated there are numerous commercial sources of
mycorrhizial fungi. The most common VAM species, Glomus interadices
is utilized by crop plants and grown on host plants in greenhouse
culture then used as harvested roots and a carrier in inocculum. In
addition, commercial inocculum may contain collected spore material
of known ectomycorrhizial species such as Rhizopogon, Scleroderma and
Psilothus.

Depending on the requirements of your crop you can do all or any of
above. I seem to recall you live in upper midwest and you should be
able to find Rhizopogon and Scleroderma this summer and fall. I would
be happy off-list to help you find these if interested.

At our farm, and also as described by Dr. Ogawa, we inocculate
recently sterilized soil with collected leaf litter, rotting wood and
surface soil from a  healthy forest understory as my crop plants are
native trees and shrubs, hosts for ecto and endomycorrhizial (VAM)
fungi.

As I understand things these organisms do not fix atmospheric
nitrogen but do make nitrogen available to plants.

Charcoal may indeed be helpful in establishing suitable habitat for
these beneficial fungi.

There are two additional classes of nitrogen fixing organisms that
are of interest to me.

Frankia  is an actinomycete that forms nodules on a number of host
plants including red alder and sweet gale, Ceanothus sp, plants we
grow at 4CN. We have had interesting results with tests of collected,
mashed alder roots combined with charcoal. Not conclusive because
both treatments worked fairly well.

Azotobacter species A. chroococcum,and A. vinelandeii are a class of
free living bacteria that convert atmospheric nitrogen to ammonia.
They are aerobic and found in soils and in association with plants.

http://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Azotobacter

Azotobacter is interesting to me because in pure culture it can fix
10 mg of nitrogen/g of sugar and in organic matter rich soils and in
association with root exudates may be a source of natural fertilizer.

http://www.indiaagronet.com/indiaagronet/Manuers_fertilizers/
azotobacter.htm

Charcoal and its cellular structure may provide habitat for this
beneficial bacterium.

Lastly Sean the status of my tote of charcoal now residing under
hemlock and douglas fir trees.

We want to age this material in a natural way and use in in some
tests sometime next year. Right now it is sitting on top of the
ground. Before 1995 we piled many truck loads of leaves, garden
debris and it has rotted into a high organic matter layer that the
conifer tree roots have grown into. Every fall this forested place
supports heavy fruiting of the mushrooms Lepiota, Collybia and
Tricholoma and digging into the soil it is easy to find tree roots
and dense mycelium.

So the plan is to bury our charcoal in this place and let it age in
this environment. Early next spring I will be moving this organic
rich soil and charcoal soil mix into raised beds for commercial
propagation of a native plant, Coryalidis scouleri which occurs in
moist, organic rich under-story soils in our region.

http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection.php?
Genus=Corydalis&Species=scouleri

and