[Terrapreta] Alkaline Soils test - Use of Charcoal + fortreatment

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Jun 18 21:41:07 EDT 2007

Hello Dr. Sai Bhashkar Redding,

This looks like a very interesting project.  I'm fascinated by the plethora
of living microbiological additives (inoculants) you will be using as soil
amendments.  I have never seen soil microbiology was cultured or used like
this before.  I've thought it would be interesting to do this sort of thing,
with soil microbes as soil amendments, but your plan looks like a well
studied and elaborate plan.  Did you take a census of the soil microbiology
in the area in which you are applying the amendments or in other areas with
more desirable soil characteristics?  How did you decide how much and what
types of microbes to put into that soil in Kothur?

Are you using charcoal and other soil amendments in an attempt to rectify
alkalinity in the soil?  I think an earlier post from you mentioned this was
a problem in that area, Kothur.  I think you said, too, that there was some
kind of tree which had propagated heavily in the area because the tree could
withstand salt better?  (maybe I read about this after you mentioned the
trees in a past post) Will you be using the charcoal made from the wood of
these trees?  Will you be doing (or getting done by a lab) "proximate
analysis" tests of the charcoal or measuring pH of it, before it is used in
the soil amendments?  Will you be measuring or recording maximum
temperatures a which the charcoal is made?

If the charcoal being put into the soil (sans ash?) is still higher pH and
alkaline, will you be able to modify the other amendments to correct the pH
to a livable level for the microbes?  Does the water wash neutralize the
charcoal effectively?  Will the microbial activity or just the existence of
SOM further neutralize the soil alkalinity?  Is there a target pH that you
are trying to achieve with these soil amendments?

http://dacnet.nic.in/rbdcbangalore/index.asp <- That is an interesting
website.  I'm widely impressed that the India government and the
agricultural community there has such an organization. I would imagine that
they will be exceptionally helpful in developing Neo Terra Preta.

Thank you, if you would answer any of my questions.  I'm sorry if they seem
many.  I am immensely curious about this project just from reading the
spreadsheet and your past posts.

Regards