[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 2, Issue 33

PurNrg at aol.com PurNrg at aol.com
Fri Mar 2 00:25:14 CST 2007

In a message dated 2/28/07 3:20:31 AM, Rhisiart at DDraigGoch.org writes:

> As well as thinly scattering charcoal dust on the
> surface, I could dose the bottom of each plug hole with dust at a
> deeper level, with compost on top, or maybe mix dust into the
> compost. The siting of planting plugs moves from season to season, so
> that would lead eventually to a ground with a layer of top-dressed
> powder left to migrate into the soil by the effects of the
> soil-turning agents, plus quite thickly scattered doses of dust in
> pockets at slightly deeper levels.

Hi There Rhisiart,

Thanks for your interesting post. As I read about the sensitivity and care
you and your associates apply to your art, I was again reminded why Britain is a
Mecca for gardeners. The prevailing attitudes are so much more sophisticated
and in tune with sustainability than we often experience here in our 'have it
all right now' culture. Of all the important elements of horticulture,
patience so often seems in short supply.

I was fascinated by the growing of food crops in turf. It's not something one
sees, largely due, I imagine, to a shortage of the patience and sensitivity
needed to carefully trim the turf by hand. I'd love to see some pictures of it
sometime :-)>.

In answer to your question about how to infuse the land with charcoal without
digging it all up, I think you've hit upon the only practical way when you
mention an expanded preparation of your planting places. Though I am certainly
no TP expert at this point, one theme that seems to run through it is that the
charcoal is well mixed down to considerable depth. I doubt this will really
happen if charcoal 'dust' is sprinkled on the surface. There will, no doubt, be
some migration of it into the soil, but chunks deep down...I don't think so.
So, the big chance to get it down there is in this spot preparation of the
planting holes. I would suggest digging deeply in those places and incorporating
chunkier than dust charcoal at that time. And adding it to compost sounds like
a great idea! If the charcoal pieces were to have some time in the compost
pile they might well become inoculated with desirable wee beasties right then,
and carry them to their new location when the compost is used. As you point out,
since to planting places move around, gradually the whole area would become
improved.

One concern I might have about broadcasting it is that it's very dirty stuff.
It scuffs around and makes a mess. If you track it in...you're in the dog
house. I think actually, that I read somewhere here that one of the main reasons
why the use of horticultural charcoal had fallen off in England was because it
was so dirty to handle and work with.

I too HATE to slice through a worm :-(>, but I find solace in the fact that
the piece with the heart will be just fine, and the other piece is compost.

Warm Regards to All, Peter :-)>

Peter J. Schenk, Jr.
Green Door Gardening Service
42 Mount Vernon Avenue