[Terrapreta] Charcoal properties

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Mar 2 23:15:33 CST 2007

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your very interesting comments.  By what you have said in your post, ...

"Tests by my colleague Professor Goro Uehara and his co-workers in CTAHR have
shown that the addition of some charcoals to the soil can be harmful to
plant growth.  Our analyses of the properties of this "harmful" charcoal
indicate that it would have been perfect for barbeque."

and ...

"A good barbeque charcoal will have a VM content of 25 - 30%, whereas a
charcoal destined for metallurgical use often has VM content below 10%."

... would it be fair to infer, then, that relatively high volatile matter content (25 - 30%) in charcoal probably does not make a good agricultural use charcoal?  Has anyone tested metallurgical use charcoal (@ <10% VM) as an AgChar?  What are the pyrolysis conditions under which metallurgical use charcoal is made (feedstock, temperature, oxygen or air supply level, etc.)?  Are there any simple methods (not involving expensive gas chromatographs and/or other equipment) to test for VM content?  Like, maybe does low VM charcoal combust at a lower or higher temperature the higher VM charcoal?  Do they have a different densities?

You say, "This is not an easy job and there are no short cuts that I can find."  So maybe my questions seem like naivete, but what I am interested in learning from you is if a fuel scientists/chemical engineer like you really does maybe know some possible simple methods to do proximate analysis of charcoal or maybe some parts of it.  Not everyone interested in testing or making Terra Preta has your kind of background, nor access to the kinds of scientific equipment you do.  But, I suspect that there are low tech ways to accomplish some of the things you are doing with your analysis of charcoal properties.  Hopefully, you may be willing to at least discuss the possibilities.

Would you be willing to put your papers online for the group?  I'm interested, so if you like, send them to me.

Thank you and regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC