[Terrapreta] Charcoal properties

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Mar 3 18:47:34 CST 2007

If people who are doing Terra Preta experimentation are willing to have
their charcoal tested and report it here we can accumulate a database of
experience on the Terra Preta website.

Tom Reed has a few charcoals on his BEF Woodgas site:

http://www.woodgas.com/proximat.htm

Proximate Analysis at a commercial lab here is $55 per sample. $12 for
sample preparation and $43 for the analysis. (Hazen Research, Golden
Colorado http://www.hazenusa.com/analytical-5.php ) There are many labs, we
just have used Hazen often.

Some suppliers can probably provide a Proximate Analysis (Moisture, Ash,
Fixed Carbon, Volatile Carbon).

See coconut shell charcoal
http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11429503/Coconut_Shell_Charcoal.html

CEN (European) and ASTM (US) standard methods may differ slightly.  I found
CEN standard methods for analyzing for Moisture and Ash at:

http://www.crbnet.it/FisicaTecnica/File/Pubblicazioni/pdf/1248.pdf

This lab uses an Italian standard for Volatile matter.

If I recall there are European (or country) standards for different grade of
charcoal.

FAO also describes Chapter 8. Quality control of charcoal and by-products

http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5555E/x5555e09.htm

The Phyllis database has several char analyses but of coarse they are not
linked to specific agricultural uses.

http://www.ecn.nl/phyllis/

Tom Miles