[Terrapreta] Commercial charcoal VM content

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Mar 10 12:51:26 CST 2007

I continue to question drawing a correlation between reactor temperature and
charcoal quality without also quantifying the volatile matter (VM) content.

When we gasify wood in a  down draft gasifier we find two types of char in
the bed . The first is a hard shiny char that we find produced near the
oxidation zone. The second, we call it "reduction char", is a porous puffy
char that is in the reduction zone where the CO2 produced from oxidation
reacts with char to produce combustible gas. It has been subjected for a
short time to gases that start at  1000 C and are cooled by reaction with
the char to 600C.  This reduction char is puffy, porous, and low density,
with a visible swelled structure. I don't know what the volatile matter is
for this reduction char but I would guess that it would be very low.  It can
be produced as a byproduct of gasification to produce power for rural
communities. Is this char any good for crops? We need VM data.

Tom

See:

http://www.fluidynenz.250x.com/_framed/250x/fluidynenz/IrelandJune2005/IMG_1
255.jpg