[Terrapreta] publicizing online help wanted service

dyarrow at nycap.rr.com dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Sat Mar 10 22:02:59 CST 2007

nice try, doug, but you may need a heavy hammer to get your points
across.

we have a lot of re-education to do, because terra preta's charcoal
strategy flies in the face of conventional wisdom about fertilizers
and soil fertility.  after all, the organic / ecological farm
movement's emphasis on building organic carbon in soils by composting
still hasn't made more than a small dent in the prejudices and pre-
judgments of existing agricultural institutions and their experts.
for that matter, in nearly two decades, even no-till has had a stiff
and steep upill struggle to gain limited credibility and practice.

my own perception that terra preta research is driven by
archaeologsts, anthropoligists, ecologists, and soil scientists -- but
very few agricultural scientists have paid attention.  terra preta
contradicts their preconceived notions.  and while i haven't read all
the papers of lehmann, steiner, antal, ogawa and all, i doubt a stack
of documents will change many made-up minds.

my own view is you rarely teach an old dog new tricks -- better to get
a new dog.  while we wait for conventional ag institutions to change
their deep-dug mindset, let's recruit eco-aware farmers to collaborate
in on-farm biochar field trials.  i hope this doesn't sound
excessively negative and cynical. (hawaii doesn't count, as it's an
island unto itself with unique motivations to find a way out of the
big oil synthetic oil box)

my recommendation to terra preta advocates and promoters is to contact
fred walters at acres USA and ask to give a 60-minute workshop at the
next acres USA conference in dec. 2007.  better yet, teach an all-day
or half-day pre-conference training session, preceded by a feature
article in the october or november issue of acres USA magazine.  and
ditto for all the other regional eco/organic farming conferences:
NOFA, PASA, CCOF, etc.  and walk into those conferences with big bags
of biochar for farmers to take home and test on small plots and pots.

we need this sort of strategy to recruit an initial crop of farmer-
collaborators in on-farm terra preta field tests -- assuming we can
come up with a sufficient volume of proper quality bio-char to be used
in such field trials.  i certainly will do my best to recruit farmer-
collaborators in the northeast, and NY in particular.  right now, i am
confident i can convince the buffalo manager at onondaga nation to
conduct field trials with bio-char on their carbon and trace element
deficient pasture -- and this year they intend to start a 50-acre
vegetable farm.  but i hate to consider the cost of shipping a few
truckloads of charcoal to central NY from athens, GA.

i certainly agree with the assessment that corn-derived ethanol is not
wise -- not until we develop less soil-destructive, energy-consumptive
ways to grow corn.  the benefit of corn-based ethanol is only a slight
reduction in dependence on imported oil -- we reduce our oil-
dependence for auto fuel, but still rely on energy-intensive
fertilizers to grow the corn.

and so far, i haven't yet read anything about processes and costs to
refine crude biofuel extracted by pyrolysis into various grades and
qualities of usable fuels.  such refining technology already exists
for crude oil, coal oil and other raw fuels, so it won't take a techno-
revolution to develop similar biofuel refining.  but it all reduces
down to the numbers, and we need data to show biofuel refining is
economical -- at least before crude oil reaches $100/barrel.

David Yarrow
"If yer not forest, yer against us."
Turtle EyeLand Sanctuary
44 Gilligan Road, East Greenbush, NY 12061
518-330-2587
dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
www.championtrees.org
www.OnondagaLakePeaceFestival.org
www.citizenre.com/dyarrow/
www.SeaAgri.com

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times,
if one only remembers to turn on the light."
-Albus Dumbledore