[Terrapreta] Beware The False Prophets of Terra Preta

dyarrow at nycap.rr.com dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Sun Mar 11 03:31:46 CDT 2007

a few decades ago (yes, i am that old), i learned something from
ethnobotany that got my attention, which i could confirm from my
observations when living in the rural philippines as a young boy (my
father was an advisor under UN FAO -- in forestry, not agriculture).

it was termed "garbage heap gardening," and recounted how indigenous
people had places (usually more than one) in their backyards where
they dumped their garbage -- everything -- kitchen scraps, broken
pottery and baskets, ashes, charcoal, clothing, bedpans (if they had
them at all).  these garbage heaps would spontaneously sprout a
variety of plants, most of them food plants, especially squashes,
melons, kamote, yams....  and these crops grew very well in the
enriched yuck of these heaps.  the result was an abundance of these
foods with almost no work except a bit of occasional weeding and
harvest.

i experienced the same kind of food-without-effort phenomena in the
temperate climate of NY with squashes, watermelon, tomatoes, potatoes,
amaranth, and other crops.  quite by accident, i even developed a
sheet composting system that turned infertile sand into thick, lush
gardens:
www.championtrees.org/topsoil/topsoil.htm

unfortunately, the year after this discovery, i was electrocuted by
6000 volts and broke my back.  it would be almost a decade before i
could garden again.  but i can confirm that this garbage heap system
works amazingly well.

consistently, indigenous people were and are astute observers of
nature.  they undoubtedly discovered what i discovered: how to make
rich, fertile topsoil from garbage, with very little effort.  perhaps
in the amazon, the indigenous people went beyond garbage heap
gardening and expanded this technique to convert large acres of land
into productive fields of food.  not perhaps -- you can bet on it.

i could go on, but i'll stop for now.

David Yarrow
"If yer not forest, yer against us."
Turtle EyeLand Sanctuary
44 Gilligan Road, East Greenbush, NY 12061
518-330-2587
dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
www.championtrees.org
www.OnondagaLakePeaceFestival.org
www.citizenre.com/dyarrow/
www.SeaAgri.com

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times,
if one only remembers to turn on the light."
-Albus Dumbledore